For Windows XP users:
- Click Start and then click ‘Control Panel’
- Double Click ‘Windows Firewall’
- Click ‘Exceptions’
- Click ‘Add Port’
- In the applet which opens, type a name for the port; E.g. WIRSPA Intranet.
- In the space for port number, type 444 and click ‘Ok’
- Click ‘Ok’ again to close the main firewall applet, close and re-open your browser, and try to access the site again.
*For other firewalls, it is best to check with the manufacturer’s website for detailed instructions
Proxy Server Settings
Issues: – screen message in Internet Explorer “looking for a proxy server that cannot be found”
This means the browser is configured to connect to the internet through a proxy server which is currently unavailable. If that setting has been put there by the systems administrators, it may not be possible for the user to remove it.
However, if it has been accidentally defined, the following procedure will rectify that:
(This applies specifically to Internet Explorer – Microsoft Sharepoint sites generally work better in Internet Explorer)
- With an Internet Explorer window open, press and release ‘Alt’ then ‘T’ then ‘O’. Do not hold them down together. This will open the Internet Options applet.
- Click the ‘Connections’ tab.
- Click the ‘LAN Settings’ button. LAN Settings will open in a separate applet.
- Uncheck the box which says “Use a proxy server for your LAN.”
- Click ‘Ok’ on both applets.
- Close and reopen Internet Explorer and try connecting again.